We must be the change we wish to see in the world. ~Mahatma Gandhi

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

"Unusual" Words

A week ago, I observed a funny conversation between my husband and my, much younger, sister. I had been watching a roundtable discussion about one of the big firms that was having trouble in the Market. You know...Lehman, AIG, Merrill etc. When asked why one of the firms was going under, one of the participants said it was due to the hubris of the President/CEO of that firm. I shared this with my husband and sister.

What ensued was pretty funny. My sister went on and on asking why didn't he just say pride or ego. And my husband made references to Greek Mythology and Shakespeare stating that hubris was much more appropriate because of the imagery and nuance that the word conveys in comparison. Neither would agree with the other and I just laughed knowing that I'd write about this conversation some day soon.

I site this as an example of the differences between Sensors and Intuitives. My sister, the Sensor, felt that the more straightforward word would suffice. Where as my husband, the Intuitive, wanted something less practical, less obvious and hubris "fit the bill".

Love it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your observations. What a great insight into how knowing "types" can drastically improve our communication skills with others. I greatly enjoy peeking into other people's view of reality. Great posts, keep em coming!

Best Life Coaching said...

thanks curiocast...i just read your comment...had no idea anyone saw my posts..lol